31 May 2015

May 2015: A Month Of Movies In Review

In March and in April, I really felt like I was put to the test. University responsibilities, including a professional experience placement piled down like rubble from a demolition. In the recent past, I was hit by a few things emotionally and for a little while I felt pretty stagnant. I also found myself more often that the norm questioning my place in the world and where I was going. All the while, I was still working to earn a bit of cash on top of it.

While these are certainly first world problems, they are things that weighed down on me very heavily regardless. In a way though, all of this has been a blessing hiding behind a mask. I found myself becoming much stronger as I saw few other options than to be just that. I saw that the way things came to be were the result of many long-term habits, and that I had to refocus myself to be more goal-oriented.

During May, I committed myself to becoming fit and healthy, applying my energies to my passions and therefore my goals, and reducing the stresses of other problems by giving them a good kick in the teeth. To the individual, nothing is more fulfilling than living by your own ideals and designing your life the way you want it. The passive nature I fell into over the few years since I finished high school will be dismantled, and I finally have seen that my abilities are best unleashed on benefiting my life and the lives of those I love. Things have hurt, some things still do, but I'm adapting.

My month of life summary aside, here's my summary of my movie watching. I saw a total of 11 movies, which is pretty unimpressive by what I'm usually capable of. I also engaged with the sixth season of the rebooted "Doctor Who" series and started on the full of fun TV show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

1. Land of the Dead (2005) – 6/10

The living dead have now taken over the world, and the small number of humans left have walled themselves up in a city where they try to resume life as normal, until a renegade group and an advancing race of zombies threaten the little stability left. Though you would assume that a 20 year gap between this and the memorable “Day of the Dead” would allow for plenty of time for creative brainstorming, “Land of the Dead” really indicates George A Romero’s slip in output that’s no doubt come from his old age. The main characters are for the most part a total bore, save for a humourous yet stereotypical performance by the late Dennis Hopper. However, Romero does make an effective use of modern technologies by merging CGI and digital filters with classical zombie makeup. It introduces some new ideas, though feels less innovative that his earlier zombie films.

2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) – 8/10
When a masked vigilante appears in Gotham City and carries out a string of murders against the leaders in organized crime, Batman finds himself accused and tries to solve the mystery as a past lover comes back into Bruce Wayne’s life. Having watched “Batman: The Animated Series” growing up, I found watching this to be a bit of a nostalgic rush and it’s reminded me of why the early 90s animated show reached such high acclaim. I love the dark atmosphere, gothic visual style and the structure of merging backstory with the emerging action. It reminds us that Batman is a very mature and character-driven superhero franchise that can be enjoyed by adults probably more so than children. The voice performances by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as Batman and the Joker are phenomenally well-suited to these characters. These aspects make this film and the associated TV show great examples of their genre.


3. Day Of Freedom (1935) – 7/10
A propaganda film showcasing the readiness of Nazi Germany’s armed forces’ readiness for an act of war. While it is only a short film, it pretty much accomplishes everything it sets out to do in that very small time frame. Riefenstahl’s direction places almost no importance on dialogue and rather relies on visuals, music and dramatic action. You get a sense of where the Heer and the Luftwaffe stood in terms of war readiness even as early as 1935. This comes off as ‘blitzkrieg’ in its early theoretical development. You also see how physically fit these men are for military roles. All of this is accompanied by music that suggests a heroic quality in joining Hitler’s army. An effective propaganda movie worth looking at for Riefenstahl’s unique vision and for how powerful images and sound can be over us.


4. The Wizard (1989) – 7/10
Corey runs away with his mentally unstable little brother, Jimmy, and after meeting another runaway named Haley they travel to California to compete in a video game competition. For whatever reason, “The Wizard” has lasted well in the collective memories of film lovers. I think that can be put down to the unforgettable reality that it’s got to be the most expensive Nintendo commercial ever produced. While performances are generally okay and the dialogue is very on-the-nose I think it works best through its likable and sympathetic characters and a sense of adventure the little kids might be thrilled by more than anyone else. Not an especially great film, but there’s something about it that’s made it stand the test of time, at least in our memory and collective joy.


5. Happy Feet (2006) – 7/10
In a colony of singing penguins, a newborn is labelled an outcast for his lack of a voice and talent for tap dancing. “Mad Max” director George Miller’s family tale stands fairly strong in the animated genre in a time where Pixar and Dreamworks really dominate the scene. Though the animation is noticeably dated 9 years on, I feel this has a positive effect in forcing an audience to look more closely at its other content rather than dwell on visuals. Its characters are likable and the environmental message is admirable, however I feel that for a story that drives its emotions from the inner conflict of one character it doesn’t drive deeply enough to be as compelling as it could be. I also thought that musical choices were uneven, some being suitable and others restricting the audience to the hits of the years around 2006.


6. My Girl (1991) – 8/10
Vada is on the verge of entering puberty and finds her life turned upside down when her father hires a makeup artist to work in his funeral parlour and the two find themselves falling in love to her disapproval. “My Girl” is best remembered as one of the major coming-of-age tearjerkers of the early 90s. What makes it work isn’t its adult exploration of love, life and death, but more so the fact that it’s portrayed through the eyes of an innocent child caught in the confusion of her own emerging maturity. Vada is highly sympathetic and one to identify with even during her less appealing moments, which can be excused by her own internal natural changes. Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis perform to a high standard as the adult cast, and are surprisingly matched by the child performances of Anna Chlumsky and Macaulay Culkin. Growing up is confusing and usually not easy and “My Girl” really throws its characters and audience in the deep end of that pool to great dramatic effect.

7. King Kong (1976) – 7.5/10
A petrol company goes on voyage to the South Pacific to find an isolated island rich in oil, but encounters a giant gorilla it decides to exhibit to the rest of the world. The 1976 remake of “King Kong” is largely forgotten in a time where we can watch the more heartfelt tribute to the original classic in Peter Jackson’s 2005 movie. However, I might be one of the select few that really found much to enjoy in this lesser good version of the tale. Though very cheap looking by today’s standards, I did enjoy the appearance and use of the man-sized Kong suit and the larger animatronics that accompanied it. Though it is much less an illusion to admire like the original stop-motion Kong. Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange perform to a good standard, though both pale in comparison to their industry contributions that would come later on. Kong’s climbing of the World Trade Centre, in my opinion, is an interesting change in line with the architectural achievements relevant to the time. Though it comes off as more intended as a big money-maker rather than an ambitious piece of creativity, I enjoyed the 1976 “King Kong”. A fun monster movie that may not cop as much flak if not for the greater quality of the original 1933 film.


8. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) – 8/10
Four children sent to live in the countryside find a magical wardrobe that leads to a fantasy world. They learn of their destiny as monarchs who will free the land from the tyranny of a witch under the guidance of a lion. I recall finding this movie a thrilling step out of the real world when I saw it in 2005 when I was 11 years old. This movie manages to stand pretty strong today as far as blockbusters go, but my own maturity and exposure to other films has made me see that it’s not quite as great as I originally considered it. The realm of Narnia’s creative potential is virtually endless, and it’s hard not to be drawn in the plights of Peter, Lucy, Susan and (though very unlikable early on) Edmund. Also hard not to point of Liam Neeson’s voicing of the CGI lion, Aslan. It’s very Hollywood in terms of how gently it handles various points of the plot, and I feel that a more adult approach to the content could make stand the test of time much better. Generally though, it’s a fun fantasy movie and it was a great experience to revisit a film that I loved when I was younger. Now on to the sequels which I previously never saw.

9. Metallica Through The Never (2013) – 8/10
Trip is a young roadie for Metallica who during one of the band’s shows is sent on an errand, which turns out to be a surreal experience. How much you enjoy this film really depends on the lens you look at it through. If you go in expecting to listen to Metallica perform a live show, then you’re going to get exactly that, but anything else and you’ll be sorely disappointed. The filmed concert is completely outstanding and all aspects from the choice of props to cinematography compliment it. Numerous Metallica classics make their way in and show us that these guys, despite their middle age, can still put forward a great performance. I found myself relating back to memories of seeing them live myself back in 2010. As for the film’s ‘story’, it’s pretty subpar. It feels more like an extended music video, and if so, why should it detract from that with the occasional blips of something else? It’s impossible to care about this fictional character as we never learn anything more about him other than he’s a fan of Metallica. A great video concert, but a mediocre for the main reasons we watch movies. If you’re a fan of Metallica, as I am, put on the surround sound and love the show, but be ready to miss out on a few classics as only so much can be fit in.


10. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) – 8/10
As Judgment Day approaches, an adult John Connor and his future wife get involved with a protector T-101 against an advanced Terminator called a T-X and prepare for Skynet’s first nuclear attack. The first Terminator film not directed by James Cameron and also the first to not receive universal acclaim, this is my first time watching “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines” in about 10 years. While it undoubtedly still pales in comparison to the previous two films, it’s a much stronger action film than many give it credit for. While it suffers from the fact that it undoes the amazing ending of “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” and reduces its two Terminator characters from terrifying and heroic to sexually appealing and comedic, I found much joy in its human characters. Nick Stahl is a strong adult John Connor, as is Claire Danes as the newly introduced character Kate Brewster. Action scenes are absolutely intense, and would be even stronger if the same emotional investment and themes from the previous movies were still here. Though sometimes uneven and underwhelming in comparison, I think this film accomplishes the difficult job of standing up to its great predecessors and sets the stage for a future for the franchise.


11. Taxi to the Dark Side (2007) – 8/10
With reference to the experiences of a taxi driver working for his farming family in Afghanistan, the torture practices of the United States during the war on terror and at Guantanamo Bay are explored. It’s already well established in the public mind that many American actions in this modern political phenomenon are highly questionable. Using gruelling detail, this documentary enforces the view that those behind the torture of detainees are criminals by international law. Writer-director Alex Gidney makes excellent use of interviews, known facts and shocking images to reveal the reality of these practices, which included sleep deprivation, stress positioning, sexual humiliation and sensory assault. The mood of despair is brilliantly emphasized by an ominous soundtrack. One other little note I’d like to make is how much more humane John McCain seems in this in comparison to Bush and Cheney. An important film that reminds us that America isn’t always the good guy.



My Top 10 Movies For May
1. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
2. My Girl
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4. Metallica Through The Never
5. Taxi to the Dark Side
6. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
7. King Kong
8. The Wizard
9. Day Of Freedom
10. Happy Feet






No comments:

Post a Comment